Guide to Recyclables
- Plastic bottles and jugs (all containers numbered 1-7). Caps left on are acceptable.
- Aluminum cans
- Cardboard (flatten boxes and remove all non-paper packaging such as Styrofoam; no pizza boxes with heavy grease or cheese residue)
- Mixed paper (magazines, bulk mail, phone books, newspapers, etc.)
- Steel cans
- Vehicle tires (two per person; no rims or debris; no heavy equipment tires)
- Milk cartons, drink cartons and juice cartons
Note: Scrap metals, appliances and tires are accepted for recycling at the curb, but should be placed outside of your blue container.
- Glass jars and bottles; window glass; drinking glasses; mirrors; ceramic items
- Computer equipment and TVs*
- Hazardous materials including fluorescent light bulbs, ballasts, used oils and chemicals (take to Greenville County drop-off center or Twin Chimneys Landfill)
- Heavily waxed items such as laminated sheets, ice cream cartons, etc.
- Paint (put dried paint in garbage container or take to Greenville County drop-off center)
- Plastic bags, trays, Styrofoam, diapers, etc.
- VHS and Beta tapes
- Compact discs (CDs) and CD cases
- Building materials, household furniture or appliances
- Any items with heavy food residue, as they can contaminate other clean and acceptable items in the recycling stream
*It is against state law to dispose of computers, computer monitors, televisions and printers (as well as parts of any of these items) in a recycling bin or trash container. The City holds two electronics recycling events a year. You can also call local companies such as Best Buy; EPSI (864-847-7700) and Clean Lites (864-503-9900) or visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency website for recycling options.
Please keep all plastic bags (e.g, grocery, bread, dry cleaning and newspaper) out of your recycling cart. Plastic bags can be recycled at many grocery and retail stores.
|Type of Item
||Examples & Directions
||Magazines, bulk mail, phone books, newspapers, chipboard (cereal boxes, cracker boxes), etc.
|Cardboard||Flatten boxes and remove all non-paper packaging such as Styrofoam. No pizza boxes with heavy grease or cheese residue accepted.
|Paperboard||No heavy wax covered paper accepted.
|Steel||Steel cans and scrap metal are accepted. Place scrap metal outside of your recycling bin for pickup.
|Plastic||Containers numbered 1-7 (bottles and jugs or anything with a neck). Caps left on are acceptable.