- History of Greenville
- Historic Cemeteries
- Springwood Cemetery
Nestled in the heart of downtown Greenville, Springwood Cemetery fronts on North Main Street and is bordered by Academy Street, Church Street and Elford Street. It is known for its beauty, landscape, and rich history. The cemetery is the resting place for many of Greenville’s most prominent citizens. However, the cemetery is not simply a memorial to great names, for it is the resting place of more than 10,000 mortal beings from all walks of life, with approximately 2,600 graves with no headstones. The great variety of monuments in the cemetery commemorate the famous as well as the "now forgotten," making it a compelling lesson in Greenville’s history.
Springwood Cemetery, only one acre in size at the time, was first opened to the public for burial in 1829. The original South Carolina grant on which Springwood Cemetery stands was a grant in 1784 to James Hamilton. Less than one month later, John Timmons received a grant of 473 acres, which included the land on which the present‑day cemetery is located. The overflow of a spring once passed through the cemetery, for which it is believed the cemetery was named in what later became a small family burial ground for her daughter and son‑in‑law, Elizabeth Blackburn Thompson and Waddy Thompson. From these beginnings grew the larger Springwood Cemetery as we know it today.
In subsequent years, additional acreage was added, including a public section for African Americans, dating back to before 1863.
The Springwood Cemetery Advisory Committee members are committed to preserving the history and beauty and raising awareness of the historical significance of the cemetery, while raising funds for additional capital improvements needed to develop and beautify the cemetery.
View Advisory Committee Information and Members
If you would like to make a donation to Springwood Cemetery and receive notices of Annual Meetings and special events, please complete a membership form and return it by mail along with your donation.
Thank you to our springwood members
Barbara B. League
Ted and Karen Ramseur | David and Susan Wilkins | Mackey Funerals and Cremations Century Drive
Fletcher and Becky Kirkland | Lucy Kuhne | James and Margaret Patton | Earle Prevost | Jim and Fran Woodside | Dr. Charles and Cheryl West, Jr. | Philip and Alexandra Whitley
Kathryn Allen | James M. and Carolyn B. Dowling | Elizabeth Forman | Jacob Lowrey III | MM Shaw | Jack Tedards | John and Judy Tisdale
Charles and Dorothy Bryan | Laymon L. Echols | Judith Harte | Monte and Kimberly Hudson | Robert or Helen Hughes | Langdon Ligon | Joe M, William H, or Brian Madison Piper | Russell L. Rabb, Jr. | James Sheriff | Hipp Foundation | Thomas McAfee Funeral Homes
Frances D. Anderson | Locke Annelle | J. Murphy Armstrong | John and Catherine Ballard | David and Polly Caldwell | Tom and Diane Drake | Karolyn Edwards | John Farthing | Geroge and Sarah Fletcher | Paul and Margaret Franks | Ann Funderburk | Harold and Martha Gallivan | Gwen C Garrett | George Hammett | Carole Harling | William and Sally Henley | Kenneth Herron | Edward Holder | Bob and Bev Howard | Janet Huskey | Nina Jordan | Whitfield and Suzanne Jordan | Joe M, William H, or Brian Madison King | Mary Martin | John and Preston McAfee | Elizabeth M. Pearce | Sam and Betha Piper | Greg and Cherron Saad | Margaret Scoopmire | David and Debra Spear | Edward and Stella Stall | Russell H. Stall | Heyward and Kay Sullivan | John and Sara Wheeler | Vann T. Williams | Mary Elizabeth Wilson | Brad Wyche and Dianne Smock | Yeargin Foundation
Edward Andrews | Hester Barker | Sara Jane Chandler | Caren Chitwood | Sarah Collins | Catherine Efstration | Lillian B. Fleming | Harold Gallivan | Carolyn Gilreath | Phyllis and James Gilreath | Carol Inglesby | Debra Jones | John and Anne Lewis | Jean Martin | Nancy S. Pitts | Suzanne Pyle | Nolley Sanchelli | Caren Lynn McCreary Smith | Joel and Gaye Spraque | Elizabeth P. Stall | Lucille M. Sullivan | H Floyd and Mary Sidney Surles III | Linder Tucker | Robert Vannoy