Animal Control

Animal Control Unit

The Animal Control Unit provides control and enforcement services to the city, to maintain public safety and health, while ensuring animals are treated humanely.

Municipal Code for Animal Control

The City of Greenville Municipal Code includes ordinances related to animals, including regulations for licensing, nuisance animals, impoundment, fees and penalties.

Crane, Joshua

Officer Joshua Crane 

Jakubiak, Charles

Officer Charles Jakubiak

Dog & Cat Licensing

A current metal rabies tag, issued by a licensed veterinarian within the State of South Carolina, shall be considered a license for dogs and cats within the city limits of Greenville. The tag shall at all times be attached to a collar or harness worn by the dog for which the rabies certificate and tag has been issued. In other words, your rabies tag is your pet's license.

Leash Law & Off-Leash Area

It is a violation of city ordinance for a dog to run at large beyond the limits of a person's land or the land lawfully occupied or controlled by the owner or keeper. An animal is considered under restraint when it is on the premises of its owner or keeper or when it is accompanied by its owner or keeper and under the physical control of such person by means or a leash or similar type device (i.e. rope, etc.)

Tethering Animals

Chaining and Tethering animals can be dangerous to both the animal and its owners. On November 26, 2012, the City Council approved changes to Section 4-5 of the Municipal Code (PDF). The changes dramatically change how and when you can tether an animal outside. Learn more about tethering and alternatives available to keep your pet under your control.

Upstate Vet Emergency and Specialty Care

Call 864-233-7650. The emergency clinic is a fully staffed after-hours emergency facility in the Greenville area, located at 393 Woods Lake Road. The Upstate Vet Emergency Care Clinic is open from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. Monday through Thursday, and 24 hours a day on weekends, starting at 6 p.m. Friday until 8 a.m. Monday.

Pet Poison Helpline

The Pet Poison Helpline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can be reached at 800-213-6680. There is a $35 per case fee charged.

Dead Animal Removal / City of Greenville

Call the Solid Waste Division at 864-467-4345 for assistance with disposal of dead animals on public property or roads in the Greenville city limits. If the dead animal is on private property, the property owner is responsible for removal.

Dead Animal Removal / County of Greenville

Contact the Public Services and Facilities Department at 864-467-7016 for assistance with disposal of dead animals on public property or roads. If the dead animal is on private property, the property owner is responsible for removal.

Greenville County Animal Control

Call 864-467-7595 for animal control response outside of the city Limits of Greenville.

Greenville County Animal Care Services

Call 864-467-3950 for Greenville County Animal Care Services. All animals picked up within the city limits of Greenville by City Animal Control are transported and housed at this facility for five days unless reclaimed.

Greenville Humane Society

The Humane Society is located at 305 Airport Road and can be reached at 864-242-3626. The Humane Society feeds, houses and provides medical care for unwanted animals in the Greenville community. Contact them to adopt a pet needing a good home.

Wildlife Rehab of Greenville

The Wildlife Rehab center instructs callers on what to do when an injured or orphaned animal or bird of prey is found. Wildlife Rehab of Greenville is a nonprofit, all-volunteer organization dedicated to the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned wildlife in the seven counties of the Upstate. You can contact them at 864-233-0339.

South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR)

The SCDNR provides help with nature and wildlife around the home and can be contacted at 800-922-5431.


  • SCDNR Statewide Nuisance Wild Animal Control Referral List (PDF): This is a list of individuals and businesses that provide assistance with wildlife control. Wildlife Control Operators (WCOs) are listed by county. Note that like most businesses, they do charge a fee for their services.