- Police Department
- Crime Prevention Services
Crime Prevention Services
Crime Prevention promotes the prevention and deterrence of crime by providing information and preventative materials. Crime prevention officers work to enhance community involvement in the identification and resolution of criminal activity by the developing, implementing and maintaining community-oriented programs. These programs allow the community to take a more active role by reporting suspicious activities.
Because neighborhood involvement is the key to a safe and secure community, the Greenville Police Department strives to develop and maintain positive relationships and open lines of communication with citizens in order to encourage their full participation and cooperation in crime prevention efforts. With open communication, citizens are more inclined to report crime and to inform law enforcement officials of issues affecting the safety and well-being of the community.
It is important that citizens become knowledgeable about the services provided by law enforcement and become educated in safety and crime prevention. As a result, the Greenville Police Department offers a variety of prevention programs and services through the Crime Prevention Officer, including talks and presentations for both adults and children.
Crime Prevention Programs
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED)
- CPTED is a multi-disciplinary approach to deterring criminal behavior through environmental design, i.e. landscaping, lighting, and building design. Known in various places by the phrase "Design Out Crime," CPTED is widely used around the world to deter crime in many different environments.
- Call 864-467-6619 to schedule a free CPTED assessment for your property (business or residential)
Crime Prevention Presentations
- The Crime Prevention & Outreach Officer can provide a presentation to your group or organization on a variety of topics.
- The Crime Prevention & Outreach Officer provides safety talks for all ages on a variety of topics.
SafeWatch Camera Program
- Sign up here
Nextdoor is the free private social network where neighbors work together to build stronger and safer communities. Many neighborhoods within the city of Greenville are already on Nextdoor. You can check your address on their website to see if your neighborhood has already joined, or you can be the first to start one for you and your neighbors.
The Greenville Police Department's Crime Prevention & Outreach officer maintains an active presence on Nextdoor and provides safety tips, reviews various laws and regulations, and answers questions from the community on virtually any topic. City of Greenville residents on Nextdoor can also receive urgent alerts from the GPD through the mobile app.
Have a tip on an old or new case? Call 864-23-CRIME (864-232-7463) or visit them online at http://greenville.crimestoppersweb.com. Information leading to an arrest may be eligible for a reward.